These days, it seems like we?re all working longer and longer hours. You see your co-workers more than you see your spouse or your family. And since you?re working so much, you probably don?t have time to work out as much as you used to. Well, what if you could get some exercise at work?
Exercise physiologists have said that improving your heart rate variability (your heart?s ability to go from resting to excited) can help you live longer and ward off heart disease and other ailments. And while it?s important to fit in regular workouts at home or at a gym (experts recommend 30 minutes of motion 3-5 days a week), you can still supplement those workouts with some quick activities at work. Our bodies weren?t designed to sit still for hours on end. The best way to lose weight is to get up and MOVE! So try some of these exercises:
– One minute of jumping jacks
– Quick marching or running in place for one minute
– Jump rope for one minute (with or without the actual rope)
– Sitting down, pump your arms up in the arm repeatedly for 30 seconds, and then rapidly tap your feet on the ground for 30 seconds (like the football drill)
– Bring some energy drinks to work. Sip one during the afternoon and it?ll give you the boost you need to get through the rest of your day and do the rest of these exercises!
– Shadowbox for one minute
– Walk around the room or the office as fast as you can for two minutes
– Do lunges down a hallway or around your office (if it?s nice outside, try the parking lot)
– If your building has stairs, take them! Try taking two at a time for an extra burn.
These are quick, easy exercises that will help get your heart rate moving without breaking a sweat. If you can fit some of these into your day, it?ll really help prevent back pain, headaches, and listlessness, and it?ll probably increase your productivity!
For an extra weight loss boost, try a shake with whey protein powder for lunch 2 or 3 days a week instead of going out. Whey protein is packed with vitamins and nutrients that will help balance out your body and keep you in tip-top shape.